We just released an own installer-module just to install 2SexyContent. This actually sucks, but might serve as a template for others. The reason we did this, is because 2SexyContent needs – among other things – ASP.net 4.0. And the installation Packages of DotNetNuke don’t allow you to handle this nicely. So if a user doesn’t have ASP.net 4.0, the package will simply fail to install with a simple error text (that we cannot change) saying something is missing. This sucks, and is pretty useless.
So what we did is as follows
- Created a module whose only job it is to install 2SexyContent – you can find it here https://2sexycontentinstall.codeplex.com/
- This module retrieves an XML-Configuration file from our server, to find out the current package version, what requirements it has etc.
- Then it runs a few tests and tells the user what he must do to get it to work
- When everything is ready, it downloads the package from CodePlex and installs it automatically
- After everything works, it also recommends a few „Getting-Started“ steps
Love it / hate it? We would love to hear your feedback.
Daniel, Raphael, Benjamin